Active Junky is an Affiliate Marketing, Cash Back loyalty company. Simply, a user signs up for free, then they can shop at 300+ online retailers such as REI, Backcountry.com, Patagonia earn Cash Back. The users are paid out quarterly in the form of a physical check or PayPal.
Active Junky also produces a large amount of original content, including gear tests, adventures, and the latest happenings in the outdoor space.
In less than four months I helped launch a completely new website for Active Junky. Within six months after launching the new site, Active Junky was acquired by Purch.
My responsibilities were mainly design and front-end development for the site. When I first started I inherited mock-ups for the new Active Junky website from a different designer who wasn’t available to work with. The site needed to go live in a short timeline and I had little to no time to refactor the previous designs. As I worked though developing the original designs I fixed UX and UI problems as well as updating some components entirely. The launch went off without a hitch and so far we’ve seen nothing but great results, unfortunately, I cannot share that information.
Since then I have been building out new templates and revisiting previous templates and redesigning them from scratch. My process for redesigning each template is to establish primary and secondary objectives for the page. I then create several user stories which I use to inform the next phase of hand-drawn wireframes. Then, if needed, I will create high-fidelity wireframes and even a clickable prototype. After that I move into Photoshop where I design the template to be pixel perfect. After that I begin development locally and test thoroughly before deploying.
I also managed and designed all the email templates. The new designs consisted of more than ecommerce, but was a marriage between commerce and content. This resulted in email campaigns that had much more of a narrative, voice, and reached much further to connect with our users. I also employed A/B split testing of subject-lines and templates in order to gain more insight about how our users were interacting with the email campaigns. The result of the new templates was a 250% increase in click-rate and over a 150% increase in open-rate.